About Urban Teachers
Our mission is to improve educational and life outcomes of children in urban schools by preparing culturally competent, effective career teachers who accelerate student achievement and disrupt systems of racial and socioeconomic inequity. Urban Teachers accomplishes this by recruiting outstanding candidates, equipping them with state-of-the-art training, and linking their certification to their demonstration of effective teaching practices and skills. Our residents and teachers will provide the necessary proof points to make a national case for educator effectiveness and accountability. Learn more about Urban Teachers on our website: http://www.urbanteachers.org
The Managing Director of Development works closely with the Vice President, of Development to shape, lead, and continuously improve the Development function for Urban Teachers through direct management of department-wide support leads and contractors; support of a portfolio of individual, corporate, and institutional constituents to garner general operating support on a national level, including the partnership with CEO, VP, and others toward overall national and org-wide goals and ownership of a personal portfolio and philanthropic target; and close collaboration within the function and across the organization toward integrated revenue, budgeting, and brand-building strategies coupled with excellent execution. They are a key member of the Development team and org-wide Executive Council who liaises regularly with national and regional teams to bridge Development strategy to strong cross-functional implementation and elevate awareness and support of Urban Teachers’ mission and impact on a national scale.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Plan and Execute:
- Partner with the CEO, VP, and Assistant Director of Development Management & Operations to support overall national portfolio management and growth through strategic planning, project and moves management, and relationship management support
- Directly own and manage a personal portfolio representing a subset of national accounts (and potentially regional accounts, if relevant) spanning flagship operations and special initiatives, investments, and innovation annually – including, in partnership with ops and grant writing staff, development of account-specific strategies and plans, direct moves management, research and meeting preparation, solicitation, writing and content creation, follow-up, and stewardship
- Delegate to and empower national and local team members – including Development and program team members - as needed to provide support on national accounts
- Collaborate with Policy & Business Development office and marshal Development team resources to produce successful public funding proposals at state and federal levels
- Manages, coaches, and collaborates with team-wide support leads (content and operations/systems) and additional contracted and pro bono supports to meet and exceed goals, prioritize workstreams across multiple stakeholders and needs, and continuously develop in their practice
- Through direct team-wide staff/contractor management and coaching, collaboration, and regular stakeholder engagement, ensure support, alignment, and quality control across all shared Development team services (e.g., data analysis and systems, prospect research, grant writing, and grants management) impacting national and local portfolios and campaigns
- Routinize and systematize collaboration and feedback cycles within and beyond the Development team (e.g., by convening all Development Directors for regular peer learning community activities, identifying opportunities for regular cross-functional touchpoints/convenings, etc.)
- Serves as the lead support partner to VP, Development with a focus on bridging Development strategy to team-wide alignment and implementation
- Managing strategy and campaign build-out and articulation/connective tissue to move from strategic vision to day-to-day implementation in concert with direct reports, broader team, and key collaborators
- Partners with VP and Development team to build toward expanded sales team culture, structures, and practices (from data review cadence to shared PD opportunities) encompassing not only Development team members but key solicitation/relationship management partners such as our CEO, site EDs, and board(s)
- Takes on key aspects of day-to-day department management (e.g., budget management, contracts/procurement, etc.) as appropriate alongside work owners
- Sits on Executive team to enhance embeddedness and connectivity of Development work building close cross-functional working relationships in partnership with appropriate Dev ops/content leads to inform and shape shared workstreams and team planning, with VP working in parallel and in concert at Cabinet level
Target Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote (with strong preference to candidates in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Dallas, and DC metro areas)
Compensation: $130,333 & is subject to a geographic differential which could increase or decrease it by 4% or 8% depending on city of residence. We are an anti-racist organization that prioritizes equity so we do not negotiate salaries.
Covid-19 Vaccination requirement: All Urban Teachers employees, including those working remotely, must show proof of Covid-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to show proof of vaccination before they begin their role. There will be exemptions for medical or religious reasons (exemptions must be approved by HR).
- Backed by 5+ years of relevant experience in a similar role including multilevel team leadership and direct support of executive cabinet
- Driven fundraiser with experience in sustained ownership of a portfolio emphasizing major institutional, corporate, and individual gifts
- Proven strategist who thrives when setting and driving towards clear quantitative and qualitative goals with a “fewest moves to win” mindset
- High-level forward thinker capable of balancing short-term organizational and revenue needs/goals/deadlines with steady progress toward long-term function advancement and financial sustainability goals
- Relentless but adaptable architect and executor who rigorously prioritizes and advances a critical mass of internal workstreams and external engagement activities
- Person-centered, adaptive relationship-builder who develops an authentic, productive rapport with diverse internal and external stakeholders
Urban Teachers Values
WE SERVE CHILDREN.
Children are the center of our work. We rely on the communities we serve to guide and inform the decisions we make about our curriculum, program and practice.
WE ARE AN ANTI-RACIST ORGANIZATION.
We are committed to ongoing knowledge seeking, reflection, and action to deliberately oppose racism. We are an inclusive organization that values the diversity of people, backgrounds and perspectives. We are active allies who pursue justice in the communities in which we live and work.
WE ARE LIFE-LONG LEARNERS.
We are dedicated to continuous improvement, innovation and excellence. We strive to be on the forefront of what is best for teacher education and students based on research and practice.
WE VALUE EACH OTHER.
We value each other as whole people. We are servant leaders who foster a supportive working environment that is empathetic and caring, and values direct, constructive feedback.
EOE Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.