About Urban Teachers
Our mission is to improve educational and life outcomes of children in urban schools by preparing culturally competent, effective career teachers who accelerate student achievement and disrupt systems of racial and socioeconomic inequity. Urban Teachers accomplishes this by recruiting outstanding candidates, equipping them with state-of-the-art training, and linking their certification to their demonstration of effective teaching practices and skills. Our residents and teachers will provide the necessary proof points to make a national case for educator effectiveness and accountability. Learn more about Urban Teachers on our website: http://www.urbanteachers.org
Urban Teachers is seeking a candidate for its Baltimore program to support and execute the daily operations of the Baltimore site team. More specifically, this person will assist the leadership team in meeting organizational goals in the areas of resident and teacher performance and retention, as well as in school and district satisfaction. This position reports to the Associate Director.
The Program Associate is a valued team member who provides support for both day-to-day office operations and the operations of the coursework program and of complex office services projects to improve office functions and support the Urban Teachers’ mission. We are seeking an individual with the ability to manage multiple projects and support a fast-paced, detail-oriented team. The ideal candidate will have a “can-do” disposition and the ability to problem-solve.
This position will work closely with a range of individuals within and outside of the organization including executive support to the Executive Director, Site Directors, and Development Director to coordinate projects and initiatives. The ideal candidate must demonstrate effective and efficient project management and must be capable of exercising initiative, discretion, and good judgment. This position requires strong organizational and administrative skills as well as strong attention to detail. The position must take care to keep confidentiality as organizational financial data, donor information, and human resources materials require a trustworthy and mature professional to manage the work accordingly.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Administrative Program Duties:
- Manages calendars of Executive Director, Site Directors, and Development Director (et. al.)
- Assists program staff with coordination, communication, and correspondence with other foundations, school partners, and outside organizations
- Schedules meetings, appointments, and calls for Directors
- Helps coordinate logistics for events for participants, alumni, funders and stakeholders
- Assists program directors during events and meetings by taking notes and other programmatic support. On occasion, attend events and sit-in on conference calls for the program directors, and report back on substantive matters
- Supports program staff travel and other expense reports; tracking reimbursements; arranging and preparing for site visits and other travel by program staff, as well as arranging travel for outside persons sponsored by the organization
- Supports with logistics and agenda creation for national meetings and school visits
- Assists with clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, and maintaining program files
- Assist Program Directors and the Operations Manager in organizing logistics for meetings, conferences, and workshops
- On occasion, supports program staff by conducting research and information searches on specific queries
Additional core responsibilities support Urban Teachers Baltimore's development work, including but not limited to, donor systems management, donor research, events coordination, as well as grants management support
- Organizes coursework space and materials at multiple building locations
- Create and maintain digital course and assignment calendars for all programs of study, and support with scheduling for the Clinical Faculty team
- Conducts audit of classroom space weekly prior to coursework
- Conducts inventory of all supplies and materials
- Create and manage tracking systems for check-in and check-out of coursework supplies
- Supports with technology and maintenance
- Supports the building of syllabi according to the syllabus templates
- Assists with the writing and publication of newsletters and other communications
- Plans and coordinates summer move-in and orientation
- Transport materials to and between school sites, coursework spaces, and storage
- Manage the request and distribution of parking passes for students and faculty
- Conduct textbook distribution for faculty and participants each semester
- Coordinate logistics for faculty events and professional development
- Plan and support the graduation ceremony and other celebrations
- Other duties as assigned
- Supports and executes logistics for BEI programming and BEI clinical faculty facilitators.
- Monthly reconciliation of Executive Director credit card receipts and financial reports
- Leads on communication regarding alarm systems, monthly cleaning, and organization of Urban Teachers Baltimore office
- Provides orientation and any necessary materials of Urban Teachers Baltimore office space to new staff members during onboarding
- Leads in collection and tracking of signed contracts from school partners to ensure accurate financial reconciliation for Urban Teachers
- Lead and assist with the planning, coordination, and implementation of participant and team events
- Provides primary coverage for office phones including managing voicemails and directing messages to the appropriate staff member to ensure follow-up
- Administers mailing activities: maintaining supplies, liaison with USPS, FedEx, etc., sorting and delivering incoming mail, and overseeing the processing of outgoing mail
- Assists with Board of Directors and other meetings as needed with other administrative staff
- Supports in all other areas of office operations, including record retention and destruction
- Establish and implement effective office systems to ensure maximum efficiency
- Work with the Executive Director to establish and administer contractual agreements with external vendors and suppliers, and to establish general office procedures
- Support team initiatives around cohort material distribution including but not limited to; branded material, school sign-in sheets, teacher appreciation gifts, etc.
- Manage monthly stipend payments for residents
- Manage relationships with each team member to ensure the team’s monthly spending is aligned with team goals
- Manage the school payment process from slotting through LOI/MOUs through invoicing and reclamation to ensure 100% payment for every school year from the district and/or individual schools
- Serve as a finance team point person to ensure fiscal responsibility and compliance with financial policies. This will include the collection and analysis of monthly BVAs in accordance with National Finance
Target Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Baltimore, MD
Compensation: $55,486 & is subject to a geographic differential which could increase or decrease it by 4% or 8% depending on city of residence. We are an anti-racist organization that prioritizes equity so we do not negotiate salaries.
Covid-19 Vaccination requirement: All Urban Teachers employees, including those working remotely, must show proof of Covid-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to show proof of vaccination before they begin their role. There will be exemptions for medical or religious reasons (exemptions must be approved by HR).
Preferred Skill Set:
- We are seeking highly-driven individuals who can thrive in a fast-paced urban setting. Successful candidates will have a deep belief in Urban Teachers’ mission and also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Associates Degree or higher
- A minimum of two years of work experience, preferably as an administrative assistant with experience providing administrative support to a team, preferably in a non-profit setting; experience answering and screening phone calls, with attention to accuracy and detail; experience with travel and meeting arrangements.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated reliability
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Facility with various technological platforms, including Microsoft Office and Google suite
Additional skills and qualities we seek in an ideal candidate are:
- Solid judgment and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to handle multiple tasks and work for several people; highly organized
- Interest in issues of education and social justice is desirable
- Demonstrates professionalism and emotional maturity in the coordination of schedules to ensure all responsibilities (e.g. answering phones, processing and delivering mail, relieving lobby host, etc.) are met in his/her/their own absence or in the absence of another administrative staff person
Urban Teachers Values
WE SERVE CHILDREN.
Children are the center of our work. We rely on the communities we serve to guide and inform the decisions we make about our curriculum, program and practice.
WE ARE AN ANTI-RACIST ORGANIZATION.
We are committed to ongoing knowledge seeking, reflection, and action to deliberately oppose racism. We are an inclusive organization that values the diversity of people, backgrounds and perspectives. We are active allies who pursue justice in the communities in which we live and work.
WE ARE LIFE-LONG LEARNERS.
We are dedicated to continuous improvement, innovation and excellence. We strive to be on the forefront of what is best for teacher education and students based on research and practice.
WE VALUE EACH OTHER.
We value each other as whole people. We are servant leaders who foster a supportive working environment that is empathetic and caring, and values direct, constructive feedback.
EOE Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.